Location: Cadarache (France)
Utility/Customer: Fusion For Energy (F4E)
Scope of services:
- Supply of the 27 Normal Heat Flux (NHF) First Wall (FW) panels that represent the Firm Part of the in-kind European contribution to the construction of the ITER blanket.
- A layer of 440 panels will form a first wall to protect the chamber housing the fusion reaction. The panels are a bi-metallic support structure made of CuCrZr alloy and bonded to a 316L (N) SS backing plate onto which beryllium tiles are joined to cover an area of 600 m2. Each panel measures 1 m x 1.5 m and weighs up to 1.5 t. In the rear of each panel, stainless steel shield blocks will be installed to form the ITER Blanket.
- Europe is responsible for the production of 215 first wall panels (roughly half of the total number required) and of 77 mockups.
Average mockup dimensions: 300x250x100
Fabrication/Heat Treatments at a temperature higher than 300 º
- Hot Isostatic Pressing (580 and 160MPa)
- Pre-drilling stress relief heat treatment